Monday, October 11, 2010

Blog # 5


Teachers : Cost of Living Matters More

The chart on elementary teacher pay was very interesting. Beaumont, TX and Memphis, TN were the 2 cities that had raised their adjusted salary. The three other cities should have a much higher cost of living, so it really doesn't make sense why these teachers are paid so little. The article maes a very valid point in stating that by knowing what the teacher's dollar will buy locally is much more effective than knowing just the dollar amount. For example, the cost of living in Memphis is 11% below the national average, yet Memphis teachers are receiving 5,800 dollars more than the average annual salary. This doesn't really make sense.

My Own Thoughts and Opinions

Growing up I always heard people talk about the fact that teachers do not get paid well at all. As a High School student considering my college path, I was discouraged by this fact. I never understood (and still don't) why teachers didn't make tons of money. Everyone knows that teacher's play a crucial role in pretty much everyone's life. Without teachers, we could possibly be an illeterate, uneducated country. Yet, our athletes are the major bread winners of this country. Yes, they do have the opportunity to become great role models for today's youth, but I believe a teacher's role is much more important.

After reading this article, I realized that teachers should receive pay based on their cost of living (along with other factors, of course). This crucial factor shold be considered in salary. In my teaching experiences abroad, I remember having to consider my cost of living when I took a job. I was paid well when teaching in Tokyo, considering the cost of living. However, when I heard my salary for teaching in Mexico, I thought it sounded way too low. Once I researched the cost of living, it made sense . This is such an obvious thing, and I think the US should be on the same boat.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting thought to consider is this: is it possible that, if cost of living is a factor in determining teacher pay, then how can poorer areas, with perhaps a more challenging clientele offer an attractive salary to potential teachers? How do we find a way to get the best teachers to the neediest students? Is there such a way?

    ReplyDelete