Tuesday, July 6, 2010

YOED Reflections


Looking back over this course, I believe that there are many useful things I will be able to use with my students. Although it is always interesting and useful to be taught concepts through reading and discussion, I really enjoy the production of lesson plans, and other tools that will be helpful in the classroom.
The wiki obviously continues to be useful and will be a great tool full of so many resources upon completion. The newcomer brochure, blog entries, group lesson plan, choral reading, writing prompt and anticipatory guide are all examples of useful tools for the classroom.
I will use the information from YOED 6020 directly with my students. I will also take the methods and strategies discussed and keep them in mind when working with ESL students and their families. I will also be able to consider all factors affecting these students and remember that each student has a different background story and that will affect how they learn and progress.
I have had a lot of experience working with and teaching ESL students. However, I am fairly new to the program and I'm not sure how much advice I have to offer! I will say, that I honestly believe that teaching is a rewarding experience, but teaching ESL can be even more rewarding. Make sure that it is something that you find personally fulfilling because if you're not happy with your job, it will directly affect the students. Take advantage of the opportunity to learn about the various cultures that you will come into contact with.
Finally, something I always tell myself : The classes fly by and although they require a lot of work, you'll be making progress before you know it! Sometimes starting is the hardest part :)

1 comment: